Skip to main content

Chicken with Rice Casserole

     Being from the Midwest, I am all about a good casserole that I can make on the stove during the hot summer months, and this one hit the spot.
     This also calls for wine, and if you're like me that means a glass for the skillet, a glass for the cook.

Ingredients
    4 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
    1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
    1/2 tsp  black pepper
    1 tbs of olive oil
    2 cloves of garlic minced
    1 1/4 cup of chicken broth
    1/3 cup of chardonnay
    1 carrot, diced
    1 leek, white and green parts only
    12 white mushrooms, halved
    1 cup of white and wild rice blend
    2 tbs of thyme


Directions
    Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper.
    In a large skillet, warm olive oil over medium-high heat.
    Add the chicken, skin side down and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, or until skin is brown.
    Flip chicken and cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Set aside.
    Add the garlic and cook.
    Add the broth and wine, scrapping off browned bits on skillet.
    Stir in carrot, leek, mushrooms, rice and thyme.
    Nestle chicken in skillet, reduce heat to a simmer and cover.
    Cook until liquids are absorbed.


Changes I made!
    The original recipe said to cook down for 25 minutes, but I found it takes longer before the liquids are absorbed.


This recipe from 100 perfect pairings. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfried Chicken

   Baked chicken is a staple in any house hold. The skin or crust for the chicken can make or break any meal. So I am on the hunt for better ways to make chicken. This one by Trisha Yearwood had some promise when I first read it. Ingredients     1 cup of buttermilk     1 tbs of hot sauce, I used Franks     1 1/2 cups of panko bread crumbs     3 tbs of Parmesan cheese     1 tbs of lemon zest     1 tsp of red pepper flakes     salt and pepper     4 chicken breasts, cut in half     1 lemon, quartered Directions       Preheat oven to 400.       In a small bowl, mix milk and hot sauce.       In a larger bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, lemon zest and red pepper flakes.       Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and then dip in milk combination.       Dredge chicken in panko crumbs after milk and lay ...

Penne alla Vodka

     For me, trying out new things is a must for this challenge, and new sauces is differently something I have found joy in.      Now the last sauce, also bought to you by Audrey at Home, but this one is so much more simpler and doesn't call for a hand mill. Ingredients     1/2 onion     pinch crushed red pepper flakes     5 1/2 tbs of unsalted butter     1 cup tomato puree     1/2 cup of good quality Russian vodka     1/2 cup of heavy cream     Sea Salt     1 lb of penne     1 ounce of parmigiano-reggiano Directions       In a large skillet saute onion and pepper flakes in butter, over medium heat.       Add tomato puree, reduce heat to low and cook for a few minutes.       Stir in vodka and cook down for 15 minutes.       Add cream.       Meanwhile, cook pasta. ...

Spaghetti Carbonana

     I love pasta, and I love mixing up how I serve pasta. I'm normally not a big spaghetti fan, might have to do with how Giada pronounces it on Food Network, not sure, but I really wanted to try this sauce.      This recipe also has pancetta in it, which is my favorite addition to a good pasta dish. Ingredients     1 lb of spaghetti     2 tbs of olive oil     4 ounces of pancetta, chopped     4 large eggs     1/2 cup of grated Parmesan     Salt and pepper for seasoning     3 tbs of parsley Directions     Cook spaghetti according to packaging.      Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, and add oil and pancetta.     Brown pancetta for about 3 to 4 minutes.     Meanwhile, mix together eggs and Parmesan. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.     Drain the excess grease off of pancetta.     Add...