Skip to main content

My Big Fat Greek Salad

    I dated a guy who's family is part Greek for years and loved the flavors his family introduced me to.
    This large salad is great to for something light to eat, or if you used it the way I did: pre gotta-fit-in-this-dress diet.

Ingredients
    Dressing
       3 tbs of red wine vinegar
       1 tbs of Dijon mustard
       3 cloves of garlic, minced
       1 tsp of salt
       1/2 tsp of black pepper
       5 tbs of olive oil

    Toppings
       1 round pita bread
       1 tbs of olive oil

    Salad
       1 head of iceberg lettuce
       1 jar of marinated artichoke hearts, drained and halved
       12 ounces of feta cheese
       1 8 ounce can of garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
       2 tomatoes, large dice
       1 cucumber, cut into dice
       3/4 cup of pitted kalamata olives
       small red onion, sliced
       12 pepperoncini peppers
       1 tbs of parsley
       1 tbs of oregano


Directions
    Dressing
        Whisk together vinegar, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper until salt dissolves.
        Whisk in olive oil, and set aside.

    Toppings
        Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
        Slice pita bread in half, and then in semi circles, cut into wedges.
        Bake for 6 minutes.

    Salad
       Combine chopped lettuce with artichokes, cheese, garbanzo beans, tomatoes, cucumber, olives, onion and pepperoncini peppers.
       Sprinkle with parsley and oregano.
       Drizzle dressing with salad.
       Put crouton on the side.

Changes I made!
     I cut back on the pepperoncini peppers, they are strong for me.
     I do love using this recipe just to make pita chips. I find them better than the store bought ones.

Changes from 100 Perfect Pairings.    



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfried Chicken

   Baked chicken is a staple in any house hold. The skin or crust for the chicken can make or break any meal. So I am on the hunt for better ways to make chicken. This one by Trisha Yearwood had some promise when I first read it. Ingredients     1 cup of buttermilk     1 tbs of hot sauce, I used Franks     1 1/2 cups of panko bread crumbs     3 tbs of Parmesan cheese     1 tbs of lemon zest     1 tsp of red pepper flakes     salt and pepper     4 chicken breasts, cut in half     1 lemon, quartered Directions       Preheat oven to 400.       In a small bowl, mix milk and hot sauce.       In a larger bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, lemon zest and red pepper flakes.       Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and then dip in milk combination.       Dredge chicken in panko crumbs after milk and lay ...

Penne alla Vodka

     For me, trying out new things is a must for this challenge, and new sauces is differently something I have found joy in.      Now the last sauce, also bought to you by Audrey at Home, but this one is so much more simpler and doesn't call for a hand mill. Ingredients     1/2 onion     pinch crushed red pepper flakes     5 1/2 tbs of unsalted butter     1 cup tomato puree     1/2 cup of good quality Russian vodka     1/2 cup of heavy cream     Sea Salt     1 lb of penne     1 ounce of parmigiano-reggiano Directions       In a large skillet saute onion and pepper flakes in butter, over medium heat.       Add tomato puree, reduce heat to low and cook for a few minutes.       Stir in vodka and cook down for 15 minutes.       Add cream.       Meanwhile, cook pasta. ...

Spaghetti Carbonana

     I love pasta, and I love mixing up how I serve pasta. I'm normally not a big spaghetti fan, might have to do with how Giada pronounces it on Food Network, not sure, but I really wanted to try this sauce.      This recipe also has pancetta in it, which is my favorite addition to a good pasta dish. Ingredients     1 lb of spaghetti     2 tbs of olive oil     4 ounces of pancetta, chopped     4 large eggs     1/2 cup of grated Parmesan     Salt and pepper for seasoning     3 tbs of parsley Directions     Cook spaghetti according to packaging.      Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, and add oil and pancetta.     Brown pancetta for about 3 to 4 minutes.     Meanwhile, mix together eggs and Parmesan. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.     Drain the excess grease off of pancetta.     Add...