Skip to main content

Chicken & Strawberry Spinach Salad

     It's springtime! Which means away with the soups for lunch, and hello to salads.

     I'm always looking for ways to spice up a salad, and not do the usual: iceberg, cheese and croutons, so I'm pretty pumped about finding this salad in the Taste of Home Cooking School Cookbook.
     It's pretty simple, and you can add just about whatever fruits you think will go well with the chicken marinate, but this is a great starter recipe, for someone who wants to up their salad game with some fruits and maybe venture into a new dressing realm. I normally dress my salads with Ranch or French dressing. I'm from the Midwest, that's how we roll.

Ingredients

    Ingredients you will need according to the cookbook.
    3/4 pound of boneless chicken breast
    1/4 cup of chicken broth
    Poppy seed dressing, divided
    2 cups Spinach
    1 cup Romaine
    Strawberries
    Almonds.



Directions
   Combine the chicken broth with a tablespoon of the poppy seed dressing, and coat chicken with it.
   Grill chicken on  wrapped in foil on medium heat.
   Combine Spinach, romaine, strawberries and chicken in salad bowl.
   Toss with rest of poppy seed dressing and top with almonds.



Changes I made!
    First of all, I hate nuts, so any salad that comes with nuts, I take off.
    I baked my chicken at 400 degrees instead of grilling it, and it still came out great.
    The recipe also says this makes 2 salads, but I upped everything a little to make 3 salads out of it to take to work.
    This recipe can also go well with dried fruits on top of the strawberries. I'll probably add dried cranberries in the future.

    Again the main recipe came from Taste of Home Cooking School Cookbook,.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfried Chicken

   Baked chicken is a staple in any house hold. The skin or crust for the chicken can make or break any meal. So I am on the hunt for better ways to make chicken. This one by Trisha Yearwood had some promise when I first read it. Ingredients     1 cup of buttermilk     1 tbs of hot sauce, I used Franks     1 1/2 cups of panko bread crumbs     3 tbs of Parmesan cheese     1 tbs of lemon zest     1 tsp of red pepper flakes     salt and pepper     4 chicken breasts, cut in half     1 lemon, quartered Directions       Preheat oven to 400.       In a small bowl, mix milk and hot sauce.       In a larger bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, lemon zest and red pepper flakes.       Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and then dip in milk combination.       Dredge chicken in panko crumbs after milk and lay ...

Penne alla Vodka

     For me, trying out new things is a must for this challenge, and new sauces is differently something I have found joy in.      Now the last sauce, also bought to you by Audrey at Home, but this one is so much more simpler and doesn't call for a hand mill. Ingredients     1/2 onion     pinch crushed red pepper flakes     5 1/2 tbs of unsalted butter     1 cup tomato puree     1/2 cup of good quality Russian vodka     1/2 cup of heavy cream     Sea Salt     1 lb of penne     1 ounce of parmigiano-reggiano Directions       In a large skillet saute onion and pepper flakes in butter, over medium heat.       Add tomato puree, reduce heat to low and cook for a few minutes.       Stir in vodka and cook down for 15 minutes.       Add cream.       Meanwhile, cook pasta. ...

Spaghetti Carbonana

     I love pasta, and I love mixing up how I serve pasta. I'm normally not a big spaghetti fan, might have to do with how Giada pronounces it on Food Network, not sure, but I really wanted to try this sauce.      This recipe also has pancetta in it, which is my favorite addition to a good pasta dish. Ingredients     1 lb of spaghetti     2 tbs of olive oil     4 ounces of pancetta, chopped     4 large eggs     1/2 cup of grated Parmesan     Salt and pepper for seasoning     3 tbs of parsley Directions     Cook spaghetti according to packaging.      Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, and add oil and pancetta.     Brown pancetta for about 3 to 4 minutes.     Meanwhile, mix together eggs and Parmesan. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.     Drain the excess grease off of pancetta.     Add...