Skip to main content

"A Farewell to Arms" Mac N Cheese

    I love reading, so when I was given The Book Lovers Cook Book it was a dream come true.
    I have a deep love for The Lost Generation, so this recipe sneaked in between a quote from Gertrude Stein, and a passage from Ernest Hemingway's "A Farewell to Arms" was a perfect start for me.
   






Ingredients
    2 cups of uncooked macaroni
    1/4 cup of butter
    2 tbs of flour
    2 cups of milk
    8 oz of cream cheese, softened
    2 tsp of Dijon mustard
    1/2 tsp of salt
    1/2 tsp of  pepper
    8 oz of mild cheddar, grated
    Chives


Directions
    Cook macaroni until tender, drain and set aside.
    Melt butter in a sauce pan until it sizzles.
    Stir in flour, and cook for at least 1 minute.
    Continue cooking over medium heat and add milk, cream cheese, mustard, salt and pepper.
    Constantly stir until sauce is thickened, normally between 3 to 4 minutes.
    Combine sauce, macaroni and cheddar cheese.
    Top with chives.

Changes I've made!
    This makes a lot, like mac sure you have some people who are vacuums around to help eat all the food.
    Other than that, its a pretty straight forward recipe.

    Again this recipe is from The Book Lover's Cook Book. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfried Chicken

   Baked chicken is a staple in any house hold. The skin or crust for the chicken can make or break any meal. So I am on the hunt for better ways to make chicken. This one by Trisha Yearwood had some promise when I first read it. Ingredients     1 cup of buttermilk     1 tbs of hot sauce, I used Franks     1 1/2 cups of panko bread crumbs     3 tbs of Parmesan cheese     1 tbs of lemon zest     1 tsp of red pepper flakes     salt and pepper     4 chicken breasts, cut in half     1 lemon, quartered Directions       Preheat oven to 400.       In a small bowl, mix milk and hot sauce.       In a larger bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, lemon zest and red pepper flakes.       Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and then dip in milk combination.       Dredge chicken in panko crumbs after milk and lay ...

Penne alla Vodka

     For me, trying out new things is a must for this challenge, and new sauces is differently something I have found joy in.      Now the last sauce, also bought to you by Audrey at Home, but this one is so much more simpler and doesn't call for a hand mill. Ingredients     1/2 onion     pinch crushed red pepper flakes     5 1/2 tbs of unsalted butter     1 cup tomato puree     1/2 cup of good quality Russian vodka     1/2 cup of heavy cream     Sea Salt     1 lb of penne     1 ounce of parmigiano-reggiano Directions       In a large skillet saute onion and pepper flakes in butter, over medium heat.       Add tomato puree, reduce heat to low and cook for a few minutes.       Stir in vodka and cook down for 15 minutes.       Add cream.       Meanwhile, cook pasta. ...

Spaghetti Carbonana

     I love pasta, and I love mixing up how I serve pasta. I'm normally not a big spaghetti fan, might have to do with how Giada pronounces it on Food Network, not sure, but I really wanted to try this sauce.      This recipe also has pancetta in it, which is my favorite addition to a good pasta dish. Ingredients     1 lb of spaghetti     2 tbs of olive oil     4 ounces of pancetta, chopped     4 large eggs     1/2 cup of grated Parmesan     Salt and pepper for seasoning     3 tbs of parsley Directions     Cook spaghetti according to packaging.      Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, and add oil and pancetta.     Brown pancetta for about 3 to 4 minutes.     Meanwhile, mix together eggs and Parmesan. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.     Drain the excess grease off of pancetta.     Add...