Skip to main content

Spaghetti al Pomodoro

     It seems like every good cook knows how to make a sauce, and that's why I chose this recipe. Every good Italian mama has their signature sauce, and I am neither Italian or a mama, so I gave this recipe a whirl. Audrey Hepburn was at least a mama after all.
     The sauce does take awhile so give yourself a few hours to make it.








Ingredients
     3 lbs vine-ripened tomatoes, coarsely diced
     1 onion, peeled and left whole
     1 stalk of celery, cleaned
     1 carrot, cleaned left whole
     6 basil leaves, chopped
     extra virgin olive oil
     pinch of sugar
     salt
     pepper
     1 lb of spaghetti
     Parmigiano- Reggiano

Directions
     In a large pot, with a lid over it, cook tomatos, onion, celery, and carrot for 10 minutes.
     Remove lid and keep at a boil for another 10 to 15 minutes and stir with a wooden spoon.
     Lower the heat to a medium-low and add basil leaves and a drizzle of oil.
     Cook off liquids until sauce craters instead of bubbles.
     Remove large chunks from sauce, remove pot from heat and let it cool.
     With a stainless steel food mill run sauce through to remove skins and seeds, while mixing in the vegetables.
      Add another drizzle of oil, sugar and season with salt and pepper.
      Cook spaghetti al dente, drain, mix with sauce.
      Top with grated cheese.


Changes I made!
    I need to learn how to season because my sauce needed a little something, but not sure what, probably just more salt and pepper.
    Also, I do not own a food mill, so I used a strainer and spoon to get the sauce out.


     This recipe comes from Audrey at Home.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfried Chicken

   Baked chicken is a staple in any house hold. The skin or crust for the chicken can make or break any meal. So I am on the hunt for better ways to make chicken. This one by Trisha Yearwood had some promise when I first read it. Ingredients     1 cup of buttermilk     1 tbs of hot sauce, I used Franks     1 1/2 cups of panko bread crumbs     3 tbs of Parmesan cheese     1 tbs of lemon zest     1 tsp of red pepper flakes     salt and pepper     4 chicken breasts, cut in half     1 lemon, quartered Directions       Preheat oven to 400.       In a small bowl, mix milk and hot sauce.       In a larger bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, lemon zest and red pepper flakes.       Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and then dip in milk combination.       Dredge chicken in panko crumbs after milk and lay ...

Penne alla Vodka

     For me, trying out new things is a must for this challenge, and new sauces is differently something I have found joy in.      Now the last sauce, also bought to you by Audrey at Home, but this one is so much more simpler and doesn't call for a hand mill. Ingredients     1/2 onion     pinch crushed red pepper flakes     5 1/2 tbs of unsalted butter     1 cup tomato puree     1/2 cup of good quality Russian vodka     1/2 cup of heavy cream     Sea Salt     1 lb of penne     1 ounce of parmigiano-reggiano Directions       In a large skillet saute onion and pepper flakes in butter, over medium heat.       Add tomato puree, reduce heat to low and cook for a few minutes.       Stir in vodka and cook down for 15 minutes.       Add cream.       Meanwhile, cook pasta. ...

Spaghetti Carbonana

     I love pasta, and I love mixing up how I serve pasta. I'm normally not a big spaghetti fan, might have to do with how Giada pronounces it on Food Network, not sure, but I really wanted to try this sauce.      This recipe also has pancetta in it, which is my favorite addition to a good pasta dish. Ingredients     1 lb of spaghetti     2 tbs of olive oil     4 ounces of pancetta, chopped     4 large eggs     1/2 cup of grated Parmesan     Salt and pepper for seasoning     3 tbs of parsley Directions     Cook spaghetti according to packaging.      Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, and add oil and pancetta.     Brown pancetta for about 3 to 4 minutes.     Meanwhile, mix together eggs and Parmesan. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.     Drain the excess grease off of pancetta.     Add...