Skip to main content

Beef Stew

   I love a good beef stew. It was one of the first recipes I learned how to make, and so whenever I find a new recipe I find a need to try it.

Ingredients
    1 lb of lean stew beef
    1 3/4 cup of dry red wine, I used a Merlot
    1/4 cup of flour
    2 tbs of butter
    1 onion, chopped
    1/2 cup of water
    2 tsp of fresh garlic, minced
    4 peppercorns
    1 small bay leaf
    1/2 tsp of thyme
    4 large carrots, sliced into rounds
    4 large red roasted potatoes, peeled and cubed

Directions
    Rinse the meat in cold water, and marinate in one cup of wine for at least 1 hour.
    In a large pot, saute the onion in butter until tender.
    Remove cooked onion from pot.
    Remove meat from wine, and pat dry. Drag meat in flour then cook in same pot as the onion.
    After meat is browned, add rest of wine and water as needed to cover meat.
    Stir in spices, garlic and cooked onion.
    Bring liquid to a boil over high heat.
    Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 2 1/2 hours.
    Watch liquid levels and water and wine to keep beef covered.
    With an hour left, add potatoes and carrots.

Changes I Made!
   Put the potatoes in about an hour and half before stew is done. Also, this is a rather thin stew.

This recipe is from The Book Lover's Cookbook.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfried Chicken

   Baked chicken is a staple in any house hold. The skin or crust for the chicken can make or break any meal. So I am on the hunt for better ways to make chicken. This one by Trisha Yearwood had some promise when I first read it. Ingredients     1 cup of buttermilk     1 tbs of hot sauce, I used Franks     1 1/2 cups of panko bread crumbs     3 tbs of Parmesan cheese     1 tbs of lemon zest     1 tsp of red pepper flakes     salt and pepper     4 chicken breasts, cut in half     1 lemon, quartered Directions       Preheat oven to 400.       In a small bowl, mix milk and hot sauce.       In a larger bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, lemon zest and red pepper flakes.       Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and then dip in milk combination.       Dredge chicken in panko crumbs after milk and lay ...

Penne alla Vodka

     For me, trying out new things is a must for this challenge, and new sauces is differently something I have found joy in.      Now the last sauce, also bought to you by Audrey at Home, but this one is so much more simpler and doesn't call for a hand mill. Ingredients     1/2 onion     pinch crushed red pepper flakes     5 1/2 tbs of unsalted butter     1 cup tomato puree     1/2 cup of good quality Russian vodka     1/2 cup of heavy cream     Sea Salt     1 lb of penne     1 ounce of parmigiano-reggiano Directions       In a large skillet saute onion and pepper flakes in butter, over medium heat.       Add tomato puree, reduce heat to low and cook for a few minutes.       Stir in vodka and cook down for 15 minutes.       Add cream.       Meanwhile, cook pasta. ...

Spaghetti Carbonana

     I love pasta, and I love mixing up how I serve pasta. I'm normally not a big spaghetti fan, might have to do with how Giada pronounces it on Food Network, not sure, but I really wanted to try this sauce.      This recipe also has pancetta in it, which is my favorite addition to a good pasta dish. Ingredients     1 lb of spaghetti     2 tbs of olive oil     4 ounces of pancetta, chopped     4 large eggs     1/2 cup of grated Parmesan     Salt and pepper for seasoning     3 tbs of parsley Directions     Cook spaghetti according to packaging.      Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, and add oil and pancetta.     Brown pancetta for about 3 to 4 minutes.     Meanwhile, mix together eggs and Parmesan. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.     Drain the excess grease off of pancetta.     Add...