Skip to main content

Rice with Chicken and Veggies

   In summer months, I don't want to turn on the oven, but I like a good all in one dish. This dish feels a lot like a stove top casserole.

Ingredients
  5 cups of chicken stock
  1 small onion, cut into chunks
  1 large carrot, cut into chunks
  2 stalks of celery, cut into chunks
  3 cloves of garlic, peeled and crush
  1/4 cup of olive oil
  1 1/2 lbs of boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1 inch chunks
  1 bayleaf
  1 tsp of kosher slat
  1 cup of dry white wine
  2 cups of Arborio or Carnaroli rice
  2 tbs of unsalted butter, cut into pieces pieces
  3 tbs of parsley
  1/2 cup of grated cheese similar to Grana Padano

Directions
   In a small saucepan, warm stock over low heat, and keep warm.
   In a food processor, combine onion, carrot, celery and garlic to create a paste.
   Heat olive oil in a medium Dutch oven over medium high heat.
   When oil is hot, add the veggie paste, and cook until it is dried out.
   Add the chicken pieces, bayleaf, and season with salt.
   Cook until chicken in the pan is brown and caramelized.
   Raise the heat, and add wine, scrapping any brown bits off the bottom of the pan.
   Pour hot stock into mixture, then rice.
   Bring mixture to a boil over high heat, cover pan and reduce heat to a bubble.
   Cook for about 15 minutes, until the consistency is creamy.
   Turn off heat, add butter and stir vigorously.
    Stir in parsley and cheese.

Changes I Made!
   My food processor was too small for all the veggies so I did batches.
  Also play this entirely by consistencies and and colors, not by timing.


This recipe comes from Celebrate like an Italian.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfried Chicken

   Baked chicken is a staple in any house hold. The skin or crust for the chicken can make or break any meal. So I am on the hunt for better ways to make chicken. This one by Trisha Yearwood had some promise when I first read it. Ingredients     1 cup of buttermilk     1 tbs of hot sauce, I used Franks     1 1/2 cups of panko bread crumbs     3 tbs of Parmesan cheese     1 tbs of lemon zest     1 tsp of red pepper flakes     salt and pepper     4 chicken breasts, cut in half     1 lemon, quartered Directions       Preheat oven to 400.       In a small bowl, mix milk and hot sauce.       In a larger bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, lemon zest and red pepper flakes.       Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and then dip in milk combination.       Dredge chicken in panko crumbs after milk and lay ...

Penne alla Vodka

     For me, trying out new things is a must for this challenge, and new sauces is differently something I have found joy in.      Now the last sauce, also bought to you by Audrey at Home, but this one is so much more simpler and doesn't call for a hand mill. Ingredients     1/2 onion     pinch crushed red pepper flakes     5 1/2 tbs of unsalted butter     1 cup tomato puree     1/2 cup of good quality Russian vodka     1/2 cup of heavy cream     Sea Salt     1 lb of penne     1 ounce of parmigiano-reggiano Directions       In a large skillet saute onion and pepper flakes in butter, over medium heat.       Add tomato puree, reduce heat to low and cook for a few minutes.       Stir in vodka and cook down for 15 minutes.       Add cream.       Meanwhile, cook pasta. ...

Spaghetti Carbonana

     I love pasta, and I love mixing up how I serve pasta. I'm normally not a big spaghetti fan, might have to do with how Giada pronounces it on Food Network, not sure, but I really wanted to try this sauce.      This recipe also has pancetta in it, which is my favorite addition to a good pasta dish. Ingredients     1 lb of spaghetti     2 tbs of olive oil     4 ounces of pancetta, chopped     4 large eggs     1/2 cup of grated Parmesan     Salt and pepper for seasoning     3 tbs of parsley Directions     Cook spaghetti according to packaging.      Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, and add oil and pancetta.     Brown pancetta for about 3 to 4 minutes.     Meanwhile, mix together eggs and Parmesan. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.     Drain the excess grease off of pancetta.     Add...