Skip to main content

Taco Quesadilla

   I have not had good success with other Mexican influenced dishes, so I was hoping this recipe could change my mind. I talked to a new coworker of mine, who is Mexican and she reassured me this is more Tex-Mex than anything.

Ingredients
   1 1/2 lbs of ground beef
   2 heaping tbs of chili powder
   1 tsp of ground cumin
   1/2 of cayenne pepper
   3 tbs of tomato paste
   3/4 of kosher salt
   butter for frying
   corn tortillas
   12 ounces of grated Monterey Jack cheese
   lettuce and salsa for plating

Directions
   In a large pan, brown beef and drain the excess fat.
   Add the chili powder, cumin, cayenne, tomato paste, salt and one cup of water and stir to combine.
   Simmer for a few minutes, to let flavors blend.
   Heat a separate skillet over medium heat and smear butter on it.
   Place tortilla on skillet and top with cheese and beef mixture.
   Add another layer of cheese before adding the 2nd tortilla on top.
   Wait for cheese to melt and the edges sizzle, before flipping.
   Top with lettuce and salsa before eating.

Changes I Made!
     Top your quesadilla at the end with whatever you want. I'm also kind of a spice wuss, and I found the two tablespoons a little bit much.

This recipe is from Pioneer Woman: Come and Get it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfried Chicken

   Baked chicken is a staple in any house hold. The skin or crust for the chicken can make or break any meal. So I am on the hunt for better ways to make chicken. This one by Trisha Yearwood had some promise when I first read it. Ingredients     1 cup of buttermilk     1 tbs of hot sauce, I used Franks     1 1/2 cups of panko bread crumbs     3 tbs of Parmesan cheese     1 tbs of lemon zest     1 tsp of red pepper flakes     salt and pepper     4 chicken breasts, cut in half     1 lemon, quartered Directions       Preheat oven to 400.       In a small bowl, mix milk and hot sauce.       In a larger bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, lemon zest and red pepper flakes.       Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and then dip in milk combination.       Dredge chicken in panko crumbs after milk and lay ...

Penne alla Vodka

     For me, trying out new things is a must for this challenge, and new sauces is differently something I have found joy in.      Now the last sauce, also bought to you by Audrey at Home, but this one is so much more simpler and doesn't call for a hand mill. Ingredients     1/2 onion     pinch crushed red pepper flakes     5 1/2 tbs of unsalted butter     1 cup tomato puree     1/2 cup of good quality Russian vodka     1/2 cup of heavy cream     Sea Salt     1 lb of penne     1 ounce of parmigiano-reggiano Directions       In a large skillet saute onion and pepper flakes in butter, over medium heat.       Add tomato puree, reduce heat to low and cook for a few minutes.       Stir in vodka and cook down for 15 minutes.       Add cream.       Meanwhile, cook pasta. ...

Spaghetti Carbonana

     I love pasta, and I love mixing up how I serve pasta. I'm normally not a big spaghetti fan, might have to do with how Giada pronounces it on Food Network, not sure, but I really wanted to try this sauce.      This recipe also has pancetta in it, which is my favorite addition to a good pasta dish. Ingredients     1 lb of spaghetti     2 tbs of olive oil     4 ounces of pancetta, chopped     4 large eggs     1/2 cup of grated Parmesan     Salt and pepper for seasoning     3 tbs of parsley Directions     Cook spaghetti according to packaging.      Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, and add oil and pancetta.     Brown pancetta for about 3 to 4 minutes.     Meanwhile, mix together eggs and Parmesan. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.     Drain the excess grease off of pancetta.     Add...