Skip to main content

Granola

   Breakfast is not a meal I put a lot of thought into. I normally just grab some breakfast bars and head to work, unless I made some muffin tops (see previous post, they're amazing I promise).
   I'm not the biggest fan of granola, but there's a few mixtures I do like, so I figured I'd give one a try.

Ingredients
   4 tbs of butter, melted
   1/4 cup of vegetable or canola oil
   6 cups of old fashioned rolled oats
   1 tsp of kosher salt
   Cooking spray
   1 1/2 cups of puffed rice cereal
   1 cup of wheat germ
   1/2 cup of finely chopped pecans
   1/4 cup of chopped almonds
   1 cup of packed brown sugar
   1/2 cup of honey
   1/4 cup of apple juice
   1/4 cup of molasses
   1 tbs of vanilla extract

Directions
   Preheat oven to 350.
   In a small pitcher, mix the melted butter and oil.
   Pour mixture over the oats and salt in a large bowl.
   When fully mixed, spread out oat mixture over two sheeting pans.
   Roast oats for 15 minutes, shaking oats every few minutes.
   Reduce oven to 325 and line one baking sheet with foil and coat foil with cooking spray.
   Add the cereal, wheat germ, pecans and almonds, and toss together.
   In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, honey, apple juice and molasses.
   Once it is all melted together, add vanilla.
   Pour mixture over oats and make the combination sticky.
   Pour sticky mixture into buttered sheet pan, and spread out evenly.
   Bake for 22 to 25 minutes.
   Let it cool and harden.
   Carefully peel and either cut into bars or chunks.

Changes I Made!
    I used only almonds, and I crushed them in a food processor. I upped the amount to make up for the late of pecans.


This recipe comes from Pioneer Woman: Come and Get it!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfried Chicken

   Baked chicken is a staple in any house hold. The skin or crust for the chicken can make or break any meal. So I am on the hunt for better ways to make chicken. This one by Trisha Yearwood had some promise when I first read it. Ingredients     1 cup of buttermilk     1 tbs of hot sauce, I used Franks     1 1/2 cups of panko bread crumbs     3 tbs of Parmesan cheese     1 tbs of lemon zest     1 tsp of red pepper flakes     salt and pepper     4 chicken breasts, cut in half     1 lemon, quartered Directions       Preheat oven to 400.       In a small bowl, mix milk and hot sauce.       In a larger bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, lemon zest and red pepper flakes.       Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and then dip in milk combination.       Dredge chicken in panko crumbs after milk and lay ...

Penne alla Vodka

     For me, trying out new things is a must for this challenge, and new sauces is differently something I have found joy in.      Now the last sauce, also bought to you by Audrey at Home, but this one is so much more simpler and doesn't call for a hand mill. Ingredients     1/2 onion     pinch crushed red pepper flakes     5 1/2 tbs of unsalted butter     1 cup tomato puree     1/2 cup of good quality Russian vodka     1/2 cup of heavy cream     Sea Salt     1 lb of penne     1 ounce of parmigiano-reggiano Directions       In a large skillet saute onion and pepper flakes in butter, over medium heat.       Add tomato puree, reduce heat to low and cook for a few minutes.       Stir in vodka and cook down for 15 minutes.       Add cream.       Meanwhile, cook pasta. ...

Spaghetti Carbonana

     I love pasta, and I love mixing up how I serve pasta. I'm normally not a big spaghetti fan, might have to do with how Giada pronounces it on Food Network, not sure, but I really wanted to try this sauce.      This recipe also has pancetta in it, which is my favorite addition to a good pasta dish. Ingredients     1 lb of spaghetti     2 tbs of olive oil     4 ounces of pancetta, chopped     4 large eggs     1/2 cup of grated Parmesan     Salt and pepper for seasoning     3 tbs of parsley Directions     Cook spaghetti according to packaging.      Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, and add oil and pancetta.     Brown pancetta for about 3 to 4 minutes.     Meanwhile, mix together eggs and Parmesan. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.     Drain the excess grease off of pancetta.     Add...