Skip to main content

King Ranch Chicken

    I grew up on various casseroles. It is how one raises a proper Midwest girl. This doesn't scream Midwest dish to me, but it does introduce some new flavors to ones I grew up with.

Ingredients
    Butter or cooking spray
    1 large white or yellow onion, finely diced
    1 red bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
    1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and finely diced
    1 jalapeno, finely diced
    1 rotisserie chicken
    1 10.5 oz can of cream of chicken soup
    1 10.5 oz can of cream of mushroom soup
    1 10 oz can of diced tomatoes and chiles
    2 tbs of chili powder
    1 tsp of ground cumin
    1/4 tsp of cayenne pepper
    1/2 tsp of kosher salt
    1/2 tsp of black pepper
    2 cups of chicken broth
    16 corn tortillas, torn into pieces
    1 1/2 cups of grated sharp cheddar cheese
    1 1/2 cups of grated Monterey Jack cheese

Directions
   Preheat oven to 350, and butter a 9 x 13 baking dish
   In a medium bow, mix the soups, tomatoes and chiles, chili powder, cumin, cayenne, salt, pepper and chicken broth together.
   Line the bottom of the dish with half of the tortillas.
   Then spread a layer of onions and peppers.
   Top with cheese and pour half the soup mixture on top.
   Repeat layers.
   Cover dish with foil and bake for 45 minutes.
   Uncover and bake for another 15 minutes.

Changes I Made!
   I made sure to seed the jalapeno as well. For me, this dish is at the top of my spice tolerance, so if you're a wuss like me make sure to keep things on the mild side.


This recipe comes from Pioneer Woman: Come and Get it!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfried Chicken

   Baked chicken is a staple in any house hold. The skin or crust for the chicken can make or break any meal. So I am on the hunt for better ways to make chicken. This one by Trisha Yearwood had some promise when I first read it. Ingredients     1 cup of buttermilk     1 tbs of hot sauce, I used Franks     1 1/2 cups of panko bread crumbs     3 tbs of Parmesan cheese     1 tbs of lemon zest     1 tsp of red pepper flakes     salt and pepper     4 chicken breasts, cut in half     1 lemon, quartered Directions       Preheat oven to 400.       In a small bowl, mix milk and hot sauce.       In a larger bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, lemon zest and red pepper flakes.       Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and then dip in milk combination.       Dredge chicken in panko crumbs after milk and lay ...

Penne alla Vodka

     For me, trying out new things is a must for this challenge, and new sauces is differently something I have found joy in.      Now the last sauce, also bought to you by Audrey at Home, but this one is so much more simpler and doesn't call for a hand mill. Ingredients     1/2 onion     pinch crushed red pepper flakes     5 1/2 tbs of unsalted butter     1 cup tomato puree     1/2 cup of good quality Russian vodka     1/2 cup of heavy cream     Sea Salt     1 lb of penne     1 ounce of parmigiano-reggiano Directions       In a large skillet saute onion and pepper flakes in butter, over medium heat.       Add tomato puree, reduce heat to low and cook for a few minutes.       Stir in vodka and cook down for 15 minutes.       Add cream.       Meanwhile, cook pasta. ...

Spaghetti Carbonana

     I love pasta, and I love mixing up how I serve pasta. I'm normally not a big spaghetti fan, might have to do with how Giada pronounces it on Food Network, not sure, but I really wanted to try this sauce.      This recipe also has pancetta in it, which is my favorite addition to a good pasta dish. Ingredients     1 lb of spaghetti     2 tbs of olive oil     4 ounces of pancetta, chopped     4 large eggs     1/2 cup of grated Parmesan     Salt and pepper for seasoning     3 tbs of parsley Directions     Cook spaghetti according to packaging.      Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, and add oil and pancetta.     Brown pancetta for about 3 to 4 minutes.     Meanwhile, mix together eggs and Parmesan. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.     Drain the excess grease off of pancetta.     Add...