Skip to main content

Lemongrass Shrimp

     My cast iron cook book breaks down what regions recipes come from. So, when I saw this recipe was a Midwest inspired recipe, I scratched my head. Most of the ingredients in this dish, I did not grow up using on a regular basis or ever.


Ingredients
    1/4 cup of canola oil
    2 lemongrass stalks, bruised and cut into 2 inch stalks
    1 lb of large shrimp, peeled, deveined and patted dry
    3 tbs of Thai fish sauce
    3 tbs of fresh lime juice
    1 1/2 tbs of sugar
    1 shallot
    2 tbs of thinly sliced lemongrass
    1 or 2 Thai chiles
    1/4 cup of chopped fresh cilantro
    1/4 cup of mint leaves
    2 cups of raw jasmine rice, cook according to package directions

Directions
     Heat a 12 inch cast iron skillet over high heat.
     Add the oil and wait until hot.
     Add bruised lemongrass pieces and cook until lightly browned.
     Add the shrimp, turning several times until pink.
     Turn off heat, and transfer shrimp to a large bowl, discard large lemongrass pieces.
     Add sauce, juice, sugar, shallot, sliced lemongrass, chiles, cilantro and mint to the shrimp and mix well.
     Serve with cooked rice.


Changes I Made!
     Not too surprised that I couldn't find Thai chiles at my grocery store. Without those though, the recipe still had a lot of flavor and came together really quickly.

This recipe from Cast Iron Nation.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfried Chicken

   Baked chicken is a staple in any house hold. The skin or crust for the chicken can make or break any meal. So I am on the hunt for better ways to make chicken. This one by Trisha Yearwood had some promise when I first read it. Ingredients     1 cup of buttermilk     1 tbs of hot sauce, I used Franks     1 1/2 cups of panko bread crumbs     3 tbs of Parmesan cheese     1 tbs of lemon zest     1 tsp of red pepper flakes     salt and pepper     4 chicken breasts, cut in half     1 lemon, quartered Directions       Preheat oven to 400.       In a small bowl, mix milk and hot sauce.       In a larger bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, lemon zest and red pepper flakes.       Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and then dip in milk combination.       Dredge chicken in panko crumbs after milk and lay ...

Penne alla Vodka

     For me, trying out new things is a must for this challenge, and new sauces is differently something I have found joy in.      Now the last sauce, also bought to you by Audrey at Home, but this one is so much more simpler and doesn't call for a hand mill. Ingredients     1/2 onion     pinch crushed red pepper flakes     5 1/2 tbs of unsalted butter     1 cup tomato puree     1/2 cup of good quality Russian vodka     1/2 cup of heavy cream     Sea Salt     1 lb of penne     1 ounce of parmigiano-reggiano Directions       In a large skillet saute onion and pepper flakes in butter, over medium heat.       Add tomato puree, reduce heat to low and cook for a few minutes.       Stir in vodka and cook down for 15 minutes.       Add cream.       Meanwhile, cook pasta. ...

Spaghetti Carbonana

     I love pasta, and I love mixing up how I serve pasta. I'm normally not a big spaghetti fan, might have to do with how Giada pronounces it on Food Network, not sure, but I really wanted to try this sauce.      This recipe also has pancetta in it, which is my favorite addition to a good pasta dish. Ingredients     1 lb of spaghetti     2 tbs of olive oil     4 ounces of pancetta, chopped     4 large eggs     1/2 cup of grated Parmesan     Salt and pepper for seasoning     3 tbs of parsley Directions     Cook spaghetti according to packaging.      Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, and add oil and pancetta.     Brown pancetta for about 3 to 4 minutes.     Meanwhile, mix together eggs and Parmesan. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.     Drain the excess grease off of pancetta.     Add...