Skip to main content

Orange-blueberry muffin top

   I'm normally an on the run person in the morning. It takes forever to get me to crawl out of bed, and so for breakfast I want something I can grab real quick. Normally I just buy some breakfast bars, but I thought why not make my breakfast this week. So I went ahead and created these lovely muffin tops.

Ingredients
   1 cup of fresh blueberries
   1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
   12 tbs of butter, softened
   3/4 cup of sugar
   1 large egg
   3/4 tsp of baking soda
   1 orange
   3/4 cup of buttermilk
   1 cup of sifted powdered sugar

Directions
   Preheat over to 425 and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
   Combine blueberries and a tbs of flour, and set aside.
   In a mixer with paddle attachment, cream butter and sugar.
   Add and mix the egg.
   Add the flour and baking soda until everything is combined.
   Zest the orange and add the dough.
   With the mixer on low slowly pour in buttermilk.
   Once everything is together, add the blueberries and fold everything together.
   Use a standard size ice cream scoop and scoop out dough on baking sheet.
   Bake for 11 minutes, or until lightly brown.
   While baking, combine the juice of the orange with the powdered sugar.
   Drizzle glaze on baked muffin tops.

Changes I Made!
    I don't have a stand alone mixer, so I used my handheld. Had to be very careful about adding in the buttermilk and flour, by adding a little at a time.
    I also skipped the glaze because it added a sweetness level these muffins do not need.
    I did swap out the blueberries for chocolate chips, and it came out amazing.


This recipe is from The Pioneer Woman: Come and Get It.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfried Chicken

   Baked chicken is a staple in any house hold. The skin or crust for the chicken can make or break any meal. So I am on the hunt for better ways to make chicken. This one by Trisha Yearwood had some promise when I first read it. Ingredients     1 cup of buttermilk     1 tbs of hot sauce, I used Franks     1 1/2 cups of panko bread crumbs     3 tbs of Parmesan cheese     1 tbs of lemon zest     1 tsp of red pepper flakes     salt and pepper     4 chicken breasts, cut in half     1 lemon, quartered Directions       Preheat oven to 400.       In a small bowl, mix milk and hot sauce.       In a larger bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, lemon zest and red pepper flakes.       Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and then dip in milk combination.       Dredge chicken in panko crumbs after milk and lay ...

Penne alla Vodka

     For me, trying out new things is a must for this challenge, and new sauces is differently something I have found joy in.      Now the last sauce, also bought to you by Audrey at Home, but this one is so much more simpler and doesn't call for a hand mill. Ingredients     1/2 onion     pinch crushed red pepper flakes     5 1/2 tbs of unsalted butter     1 cup tomato puree     1/2 cup of good quality Russian vodka     1/2 cup of heavy cream     Sea Salt     1 lb of penne     1 ounce of parmigiano-reggiano Directions       In a large skillet saute onion and pepper flakes in butter, over medium heat.       Add tomato puree, reduce heat to low and cook for a few minutes.       Stir in vodka and cook down for 15 minutes.       Add cream.       Meanwhile, cook pasta. ...

Spaghetti Carbonana

     I love pasta, and I love mixing up how I serve pasta. I'm normally not a big spaghetti fan, might have to do with how Giada pronounces it on Food Network, not sure, but I really wanted to try this sauce.      This recipe also has pancetta in it, which is my favorite addition to a good pasta dish. Ingredients     1 lb of spaghetti     2 tbs of olive oil     4 ounces of pancetta, chopped     4 large eggs     1/2 cup of grated Parmesan     Salt and pepper for seasoning     3 tbs of parsley Directions     Cook spaghetti according to packaging.      Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, and add oil and pancetta.     Brown pancetta for about 3 to 4 minutes.     Meanwhile, mix together eggs and Parmesan. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.     Drain the excess grease off of pancetta.     Add...