Skip to main content

Vegetable Soup

     I think everyone grows up with their own versions of popular soups. There's the one ingredient or heating method that makes the soup stand out to you. I decided to give Trisha Yearwood's veggie soup a spin.


Ingredients
    1/4 cup of olive oil
    1 pound of carrots, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
    3 onions, chopped finely
    2 garlic cloves, minced
    2 28 ounce cans of diced tomatoes, with the juice
    1 lb of cabbage, shredded
    1 can of green beans
    12 cups of chicken or veggie stock
    2 tsp of salt
    1/2 tsp of black pepper
    1 lb of baby spinach


Directions
    In a large pot over medium heat, heat the oil until shimmering.
    Add the carrots, onions and garlic and saute them for about 12 minutes.
    Add the tomatoes, cabbage, beans, stock, salt and pepper.
    Increase heat to high and bring the pot to a boil.
    Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
    Add the spinach, cover and continue to simmer until it wilts.
 





Changes I made!
      The recipe says serve 6 servings, it makes roughly 12 cups, since the stock does not reduce down at all. .
      If you're like me that's 12 lunches or 6 dinners so prepare to have a lot of this soup.
      It does freeze well, and she advises to store them in 2 cup increments.
      You can easily add in another ingredient to this dish. Corn or another bean would just add to it.

This recipe come from Trisha's Table.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfried Chicken

   Baked chicken is a staple in any house hold. The skin or crust for the chicken can make or break any meal. So I am on the hunt for better ways to make chicken. This one by Trisha Yearwood had some promise when I first read it. Ingredients     1 cup of buttermilk     1 tbs of hot sauce, I used Franks     1 1/2 cups of panko bread crumbs     3 tbs of Parmesan cheese     1 tbs of lemon zest     1 tsp of red pepper flakes     salt and pepper     4 chicken breasts, cut in half     1 lemon, quartered Directions       Preheat oven to 400.       In a small bowl, mix milk and hot sauce.       In a larger bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, lemon zest and red pepper flakes.       Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and then dip in milk combination.       Dredge chicken in panko crumbs after milk and lay ...

Penne alla Vodka

     For me, trying out new things is a must for this challenge, and new sauces is differently something I have found joy in.      Now the last sauce, also bought to you by Audrey at Home, but this one is so much more simpler and doesn't call for a hand mill. Ingredients     1/2 onion     pinch crushed red pepper flakes     5 1/2 tbs of unsalted butter     1 cup tomato puree     1/2 cup of good quality Russian vodka     1/2 cup of heavy cream     Sea Salt     1 lb of penne     1 ounce of parmigiano-reggiano Directions       In a large skillet saute onion and pepper flakes in butter, over medium heat.       Add tomato puree, reduce heat to low and cook for a few minutes.       Stir in vodka and cook down for 15 minutes.       Add cream.       Meanwhile, cook pasta. ...

Spaghetti Carbonana

     I love pasta, and I love mixing up how I serve pasta. I'm normally not a big spaghetti fan, might have to do with how Giada pronounces it on Food Network, not sure, but I really wanted to try this sauce.      This recipe also has pancetta in it, which is my favorite addition to a good pasta dish. Ingredients     1 lb of spaghetti     2 tbs of olive oil     4 ounces of pancetta, chopped     4 large eggs     1/2 cup of grated Parmesan     Salt and pepper for seasoning     3 tbs of parsley Directions     Cook spaghetti according to packaging.      Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, and add oil and pancetta.     Brown pancetta for about 3 to 4 minutes.     Meanwhile, mix together eggs and Parmesan. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.     Drain the excess grease off of pancetta.     Add...