Skip to main content

Bean with Bacon Soup



    I am all about soup. The more soups I can try, the better, and this soup was brand new to my pallet.
   This recipe is an overnight recipe, so be prepared for that.



Ingredients
   1 lb of dried great northern beans
   4 cups of low sodium chicken broth
   1 lb of thick cut bacon
   1 onion, finely diced
   2 large carrots, finely diced
   2 celery stalks, finely diced
   4 garlic cloves, salted
   2 tbs of tomato paste
   2 bay leaves
   3 roma tomatoes



Directions
   1. Put the pound of beans in a large bowl, and cover them with at least 2 inches of water. Let them soak overnight.
   2. Drain the beans and place them in a large pot.
   3. Add the broth and 4 cups of water to the pot. Bring to a boil, then lower to a simmer.
   4.  Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large skillet. Once done, set bacon aside to drain and pour grease out of skillet.
   5. Once bacon has had time to drain, add to beans.
   6. Cook carrots, onion and celery in skillet used for bacon.
   7. Once soft, add garlic and tomato paste. Stir and let combine for about 2 minutes and salt and pepper.
   8. Add veggie mixture and bay leaves to beans.
   9. Cover pot and let simmer for an hour and half.
  10. Remove pot from heat and add tomatoes.
  11. Stir everything in together, and add parsley before serving.



Changes I Made!
    I did not salt this enough, and need to salt more, on every step.

This recipe is from The Pioneer Woman's: Come and Get It!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unfried Chicken

   Baked chicken is a staple in any house hold. The skin or crust for the chicken can make or break any meal. So I am on the hunt for better ways to make chicken. This one by Trisha Yearwood had some promise when I first read it. Ingredients     1 cup of buttermilk     1 tbs of hot sauce, I used Franks     1 1/2 cups of panko bread crumbs     3 tbs of Parmesan cheese     1 tbs of lemon zest     1 tsp of red pepper flakes     salt and pepper     4 chicken breasts, cut in half     1 lemon, quartered Directions       Preheat oven to 400.       In a small bowl, mix milk and hot sauce.       In a larger bowl, mix bread crumbs, cheese, lemon zest and red pepper flakes.       Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and then dip in milk combination.       Dredge chicken in panko crumbs after milk and lay ...

Penne alla Vodka

     For me, trying out new things is a must for this challenge, and new sauces is differently something I have found joy in.      Now the last sauce, also bought to you by Audrey at Home, but this one is so much more simpler and doesn't call for a hand mill. Ingredients     1/2 onion     pinch crushed red pepper flakes     5 1/2 tbs of unsalted butter     1 cup tomato puree     1/2 cup of good quality Russian vodka     1/2 cup of heavy cream     Sea Salt     1 lb of penne     1 ounce of parmigiano-reggiano Directions       In a large skillet saute onion and pepper flakes in butter, over medium heat.       Add tomato puree, reduce heat to low and cook for a few minutes.       Stir in vodka and cook down for 15 minutes.       Add cream.       Meanwhile, cook pasta. ...

Spaghetti Carbonana

     I love pasta, and I love mixing up how I serve pasta. I'm normally not a big spaghetti fan, might have to do with how Giada pronounces it on Food Network, not sure, but I really wanted to try this sauce.      This recipe also has pancetta in it, which is my favorite addition to a good pasta dish. Ingredients     1 lb of spaghetti     2 tbs of olive oil     4 ounces of pancetta, chopped     4 large eggs     1/2 cup of grated Parmesan     Salt and pepper for seasoning     3 tbs of parsley Directions     Cook spaghetti according to packaging.      Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, and add oil and pancetta.     Brown pancetta for about 3 to 4 minutes.     Meanwhile, mix together eggs and Parmesan. Season mixture to taste with salt and pepper.     Drain the excess grease off of pancetta.     Add...